COVID-19 numbers remain steady in Northeast Oregon. Union County remains at four cases, Wallowa County is at one. The state of Oregon has 2,177 positive confirmed COVID-19 cases with 86 total deaths. In surrounding counties, Umatilla County has 32 confirmed cases and continues to show daily increases. Baker County remains at zero cases and Malheur County has six confirmed cases.
Grande Ronde Hospital has explored options to sustain the amount of personal protective equipment (PPE) utilized and to make N95 masks last longer. Hospital staff recently researched processes and then retrofitted an existing room into a decontamination room for N95 masks. The decontamination room can process multiple masks at a time. Each N95 mask may be processed up to five times. The hospital has a secure and safe method in place for collecting, sterilizing, and redistributing the masks. Collectively, Union County Emergency Medical Responders are using on average of up to 20-30 N95 masks a day (not including GRH). The hospital is working together on a team to assist other local agencies and providers with the same process to decontaminate masks.
For those who need to get groceries, here are some helpful ways to keep yourself – and those around you – safe:
• Stay at least six feet away from other people.
• Cover your mouth and nose with a cloth face covering when you have to go out and don’t touch your face.
• Go shopping during hours when fewer people are out. If you’re at higher risk, shop at stores with special hours for people who have underlying conditions.
• Disinfect the shopping cart. Use disinfectant wipes if available.
• If possible, use touchless payment. If you must handle money, a card, or use a keypad, use hand sanitizer.
• Use hand sanitizer when you leave the store and wash your hands for at least 20 seconds with regular soap and water when you return home.
State-wide, Oregon COVID-19 cases are on a downward trend. The below graphic was created April 22 and reflects those numbers up until that date.
The next update will be provided Monday, April 27.